The Heinz History Center’s Detre Library and Archives recently posted two new image collections to Historic Pittsburgh: The Congregation B’nai Israel Photographs and the Pittsburgh Bureau of Building Inspector Photographs.
The Congregation B’nai Israel photographs contain 89 images dating from c.1920 until 1992. Many of the images are of confirmation classes, Hebrew school classes, and bar and bat mitzvah students. Other images are of B’nai Israel’s religious leaders, congregation events, and the exterior and interior of the synagogue.
The Pittsburgh Bureau of Building Inspection Photographs contain 225 images of residences and businesses, many of which show obvious signs of disrepair, that had been inspected by the bureau from 1940 until 1947.
The entire collection contains approximately 1,080 images that depict buildings across the city of Pittsburgh, including those in the neighborhoods of the Southside, North Side, Lawrenceville, Bloomfield, the Hill District. Many of the structures photographed have since been demolished.
The finding aid includes a list of the addresses of all the buildings represented in the collection. The rest of the images will be uploaded in future installments.